Vircell publication displayed in ECCMID 2018: Invasive Candidiasis
Invasive Candidiasis (IC) plays an important role as a severe infection hospital patients in intensive care, post-surgical and immunocompromised patients. Diagnosis and treatment can be difficult and current testing using the gold standard blood culture has low sensitivity and is time consuming.
In order to overcome this and to avoid unnecessary antifungal therapies, non-culture-based microbiological assays are proposed as novel early markers of IC.
We are pleased to share with you these publications on the Vircell Invasive Candidiasis (CAGTA) VirCLlia® monotest:
- Value of beta-D-glucan and CAGTA biomarkers in diagnosing invasive candidiasis among medical and surgical patients
Lo Cascio, G. et al. (2018)
- Performance of the association of two markers for invasive candidiasis (IC): (1-3)-beta-D-glucan and Candida albicans germ tube antibodies (CAGTA)
Marchi, E. et al. (2018)
In these studies, the detection of (1 → 3)-β-d-glucan (BDG) and antibodies against Candida (C. albicans germ tube antibodies, CAGTA) are analysed as single tests and in association.
Lo Cascio, G. et al. evaluated whether the association of BDG and CAGTA can lead to an earlier and more specific diagnosis of IC in medicine and surgery wards patients and therefore an early therapy can be initiated.
The performance of the single tests BG and CAGTA in comparison to their combination and the gold standard (blood culture) showed an improvement in IC diagnosis, with a PPV of 65% and a NPV of 100% when BG and CAGTA are combined.
Marchi, E. et al. also showed an increase in sensitivity and NPV when the two markers were associated (93% and 91%, respectively). The accuracy of the individual assays increased up to 84%, when used in association. Moreover, the specificity of the association of the two markers (75%) was lower than that of CAGTA (89%) and higher than that of BDG (70%) taken alone.
Both publications conclude that Vircell invasive candidiasis (CAGTA) VirCLlia® monotest in combination with BDG considerably improves the IC diagnostics showing an enhanced NPV that may help to optimize the therapeutic strategies of antifungal management.
The Virclia® system it is a small automated platform that will serve as the ideal complementary system for those esoteric and low volume test. To improve turn-around time and the efficiency in your laboratory.
Main benefits include:
- Kits are supplied in a monotest format with ready-to-use reagents
- Simultaneously run 1 to 24 tests
- Cost effective use of consumables
- Dual reader: VirClia® Monotest & ELISA plates
- Pipetting directly from primary sample tubes and use of different size tubes
- Improve workflow and turnaround time
- Determination of esoteric parameters
- More than 80 references available see full list of reference here